Sunday, November 19, 2017

Cycle Malaysia Day 36 Johor Bahru - Pekan Nenas

It has been a good 2 nights stay at Meldrum Hotel I like the proximity of the food outlets and the surrounding of the old JB city. If there is a chance to come back I will stay here again. Adios and I shall continue my journey.
It started with a wet morning, the rain has stopped and after 4km I detoured and stopped Dataran Bandaraya for a brief visit. I love the crown on the stage.
Also at Dataran Bandaraya is the famous football club of Johor, Kelab Bola Sepak Johor Darul Ta'zim.
Further up the route along Jalan Datin Halimah is the Merdeka Park with attracting water landscape and green.
A public park ideal for a morning jog with 9 lawns each depicting the various historical stages of the struggle for Independence.
I was amazed by route I took which was comfortable and safe to cycle avoiding major roads and using secondary roads via residential areas like Taman Tasek, Taman Skudai Kanan and arriving at Tampoi through Bandar Baru UDA. KIP Mart is one of the places I like to visit for a certain reason.
Stretching the vicinity of Tampoi from one end to another I was at Taman Sutera Utama passing by a mall called Sutera Mall
Not too far away another mall was seen Tasek Central 皇后 广场 at the junction of Jalan Tun Aminah and Jalan Tun Fatimah.
After cycling for 32km I reached a place called Lima Kedai a tiny town between Skudai and Gelang Patah. The name was derived probably it had only 5 shops originally (just a guess).


My Oregon kept on asking me to turn back but I know my destination is just not too far away from it. Stubbornly I went against Oregon passing through an industrial scheme TamanPerindustrian Dato Yunus Sulaiman.
At the fringe of Taman Perindustrian Dato Yunus Sulaiman I could see a crossing over Route E3 (North South Highway / Second Link) but it was covered with earth.
I followed a dump truck the road was muddy and slippery. I told myself by hook or crook I shall find my way with the bicycle to the other end.
Apparently this road was used by lorries for dumping rubbish, I asked an Indian man whether there is any linkage to Gelang Patah. He said "yes" but with some turning here and there, half understood what he mentioned I just went on with it.
Trying to recalled what the Indian had said about the turning I found myself in a secluded access and was shocked by a group of monkeys swinging across the path. Feeling a bit eerie I continued to move on hoping for a quick solution out of this vegetation.
The path got narrower and narrower, it was uneven. I could only see transmission lines and the vegetation.
I took a selfie the minute I could hear traffic sound but still no sign of the traffic.
The push continued until I could see a row landscaped hedges and confidently knowing that I will be soon on safe ground.
At last I was out of the undeveloped piece of land and was very happy to be back to civilisation.
I then realised that I was at Setia Eco Garden in the vicinity of Gelang Patah.

Hitting into more earth road as I was approaching Pekan Nenas.
The neighbourhood of Pekan Nenas
At last I found Platform Cafe where my good friend Baki Zainal had reserved a room for me. It is located at Lorong A4, Pekan Nenas with Shimano Factory nearby.
I love this classic village cafe run by a lovely couple and are very passionate with their work. It was nice meeting Hui Peng & Chee Leong of platform Cafe.
Chee Leong recommended a makan place where I rode out to check it. Meanwhile at the icon of Pekan Nenas for remembrance.
This aunty has been preparing this curry noodle since she was a young lady now she is already in the 80's and still going strong with her business. I was surprised that the noodle was so spicy, all the while I thought the Southern folks are not the spicy type.
Mrs.Lee started serving the curry noodle at the age of 31 and at that time it only cost 10sen per bowl. Long live Mrs. Lee and her curry laksa has been around for nearly 50 years in Pekan Nenas.
Her shop is actually in a soft drink supplier operated by her late husband Mr. Lee Guo Qi at Jalan Sawah.
After a satisfied meal of curry laksa I did a brief look around of Pekan Nenas.
CM Day 36 was a wet affair defying my GPS device and going through a secluded vegetation to get to my destination.

No comments: